currently sue

Friday, December 01, 2006

"Embarrassingly laborious"


My sock schedule has gone to hell. I have been knitting my sister's Christmas socks using the Harlot's sock recipe from Knitting Rules! (She tells you how to knit a sock without using a pattern; I love it.)

If you've been following the sock saga, you'll know that, as of last Wednesday, I had turned the first heel and thus was on schedule to finish the pair by Christmas. However, things have taken a turn for the worse.

The sock recipe has failed me. The leg of the sock fits me perfectly, but the heel is WAY TOO BIG. I have followed the recipe closely, I don't know where I've gone wrong.. perhaps I can blame my really skinny feet (which are the same shape as my sister's really skinny feet) for throwing off the proportions.

I have come to terms with the only answer, which is to rip the sock back and reknit the heel. As C. S. Lewis once said, in a quite different context, Sometimes going back is the quickest way forward. Wish me luck.

PS the kitten got her stitches out today: she is officially finished with getting her parts taken out!

PPS shout out to LtK/SIUP for the title that perfectly sums up this sock experience.

PPPS I have heard that there is a new yarn store on St. Clair just west of Oakwood! Has anyone been yet?

5 Comments:

Blogger AZD said...

I would have investigated heel implants before ripping. But I'm crazy like that.

16:08  
Blogger ButterPeanut said...

1. I can't believe that 2 years after the fateful knitting party, both jen and sue are obsessive knitters.

2. I'm glad embarrassingly laborious is catching on! I actually came up with that phrase last April, and, unlike "assbike" and "suck it up princess", this one is actually a Lisa original.

17:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that you are making inquiries about new yarn stores...You may be hooked!

07:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Alter Knits is very pleasant. Free wifi, Ideal Cafe coffee, and a whole lot of knitting going on. You can get off either at Oakwood or at Glenholme, one stop west of Oakwood; the shop is closer to Glenholme but the blocks are small.

21:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sue! i have to admit that i've been a sad knitter lately. hardly anything completed, and one ENORMOUS stash (from all the unfinished items). send me an old fashioned email sometime if you have a minute: jyetter@shaw.ca

11:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home