currently sue

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Community, biking, scramble

I don't have much to say but kind of want to say something. LL is leaving me (+ NYC) soon... it's going to be weird and lonely without her. Have felt some reluctance to really push into community here, there's a strange balance between working for a church and being part of one that I haven't figured out. But without Lisa I am missing something. Time to become more vulnerable? This is difficult for me.

Jesus, pavement

Bike adventure

Also of note, I went for my first real bike ride on the streets of New York earlier this week -- to meet LL at Columbus Circle. I rode home up Amsterdam Ave (it took 15 minutes, which is way faster than the train) -- exhilarating. I felt daring, and FAST.

One effect New York busyness has had on me is that I now write much faster and with much less editing. There is an enormous stylistic difference between my Toronto emails (bored at work, nothing to do -- very long carefully written) and my NYC (how short can I make this??). Also affects blog posts (maybe longer due to less editing).

PS I just read that Yonge and Dundas is going to become a scramble intersection!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ButterPeanut said...

oh yeah, the think about finding/creating community in the new place (& becoming more vulnerable) is so much harder than it looks -- at least I think so, looking back on this year.

Funny, I kind of have thought stuff like, "Sue has it easy, b/c she friggin works at a church!" but yeah - you're totally navigating strange new waters.

16:52  
Blogger RTF said...

Yeah, I thought you'd just plug yourself into NYC and roll along just fine.

Well, community might be hard to make because, well, maybe we don't make it as much as we adopt it (and it adopts us) … it's organic and at the mercy of so many variables!

I'm rooting for you. In the meantime I am off to figure out where LL is going to next!

20:48  
Blogger liSa said...

I don't have any doubt that you will be able to culture community around you, I already see it happening!

ps - i'm still in denial.

23:56  
Blogger Meanoch said...

Sue, try the old time FT after Church wine and cheese! Remember Blake's mansion??

By the way, I wish really really hard that I was going to be there this weekend. As of right now, I am on the edge of just caving in and catching the train in morning!

23:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home